Back on October 21st we published the exterior grounds of Pelham’s beautiful Bartow-Pell Mansion from 1836.
A National Historic Landmark since 1978, the carriage house is also part of that designation.
Take a short walk from the house past the garden
to the carriage-wide double doors.
The stone and brickwork dates back to the 18th century.
Thoughtful detailing like a window for each horse stall evidences wealth and caring.
Just inside is a splendid carriage attributed to James Gould Carriages, (1789-1879) dating from about 1850.
The building is furnished with original artifacts from the farmhands.
There’s a fine woodstove cast by Treadwell & Perry, too.
The really fun part is back in the stalls.
That’s where they keep the fake horse.