Just about the same time as our ClockTower, 1886-87, J.P.Morgan was purchasing railroads.
The New York & Northern Railway from Van Cortlandt (now our park) up through Yonkers had gone into receivership, so he purchased it and reorganized as the New York & Putnam Railroad, then leased it back to NY Central.
The “Old Put” as the commuters called it ran 23 stations from the Bronx to Brewster for almost a century before it shut down in 1958.
The abandoned road bed still lays in muddy ruts through the Van Cortlandt Park until it gets to the Westchester County line.
Then it magically turns to a smooth, asphalt ribbon for 14 miles, all the way up to Elmsford, NY.
The “South County Trailway” for runners and bicycles was begun in the 1990’s, and was just completed in 2011.