The #4 elevated IRT was built in 1917.
And built right in its shadow in 1925 was the Jerome Theatre, at 1 West Tremont Avenue.
The Jerome opened in 1926, bringing 1,660 movie seats to Morris Heights.
It was renamed “the Art” in the 1960’s then closed in the ‘70’s, a victim of the multiplex.
Today it is home to the True Gospel Tabernacle Baptist Church, serving the neighborhood with a shelter, a clothing dispensary and a food pantry.
Free food lines can reach around the block.
But the popcorn is still very expensive.