The Archdiocese of New York constructed the St. Jerome School in 1871.
It was here 15 years before our ClockTower.
It is constructed in Victorian red brick with sandstone trim.
By the 1930’s Puerto Rican families moved up, displacing German and Irish immigrants, and soon they were dependent on the school.
For over 140 years Mott Haven graduated over 140 classes of immigrant children.
Many of their grandparents and parents went here.
Then the chuuch got caught up in expensive legal settlements.
And that was that.