Seven years after our ClockTower in 1893, the New York State legislature established a Board of Commissioners for a monument to the soldiers and sailors who had served during the Civil War.
The Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument stands 96 feet high, and is made of marble and granite.
The winning design was patterned after the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates in Athens.
It’s basically a marble cylinder capped by a conical roof and ringed by twelve Corinthian columns.
In 1899, New York Governor Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone, 34 years after the surrender of the Confederate army.
89th Street & Riverside Drive