The St. John Parish Hall of St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church on West 30th Street in Chelsea is a contemporary of our 1886 ClockTower.
Located at 213 West 30th, it was built as housing for young men and was opened April 7, 1893.
Those intervening seven years marked a migration from the pure Romanesque of the building we call home to a more Gothic-influenced style seen here in the dormer woodwork...
...and also hints of the coming Neo Classic era that introduced sandstone detail inserts whereas our detailing is in the earlier terracotta.
And the arches now are pointed, whereas our arches are round.
Still, the red-brick similarities are unmistakable, like 2nd cousins raised in different boroughs.